Cake pop flop

Almond Joy cake pops

I’ve always loved admiring Molly Bakes Cupcakes’ cake pop photos, but never thought of making them myself. That all changed when Tom got me a cake pop pan for my birthday! I decided to make Almond Joy cake pops- my own invention. I toasted sliced almonds with sugar and butter, then smashed them into smaller bits. I combined brownie and chocolate cake mix to make a dense cake.

The cakes turned out great because of the great design of the pan (which can be found at Target.) However, my icing really pooped the bed! I make great ganache icing, but I have to dip the cake pops into a powered sugar icing to give them a smooth effect. I ended up using an entire bag of powered sugar in my pot of hot milk and butter, leaving me a hot pot of buttery milk. If I had two more bags of sugar, I probably could have pulled it off, but then I would have enough icing for 4 sheet cakes…

Cut to me finding an emergency container of whipped cream cheese icing. I mixed in some vanilla and coconut extract (I’m not a fan of shredded coconut.) I used a butter knife and my fingers to spread it on the pops. I felt ridiculous, but it looked okay after rolling the pops in the nuts.

I admitted to Tom that cake pops are something that needs to be practiced. And there's got to be a better way to make the sticks stay in the pops. What holds them in? Hope? I need to do more research...

1 comment:

  1. Cake pop pan? What will they thing of next?

    Almond Joys have to have real coconut! My favorite.

    ReplyDelete